Friday, July 17, 2009

Turkish Delight


Living and working in the heart of Darlinghurst, I'm definitely not lacking a choice in restaurants. Thai, Japanese, Indian, Chinese - it's all a stone-throw away. So for the last few weeks, I've been on a continuous quest for something new, something different. Trecking out to Balmain, I think I've finally found it at Efendy. I've never had Turkish cuisine before, apart from the occasional late-night, street-side kebab. And man, have I been missing out...

Efendy hosts a sophisticated a la carte restaurant downstairs, but we headed upstairs for their more casual meze bar experience. We settled down on the comfortable lounges in the back and after ordering some cocktails, decided on a range of small mezes to share. I'm not normally a fan of vegetarian dishes, but made an exception on this occasion - a decision I definitely didn't regret. Everything tasted incredibly fresh and was bursting with flavour, meat or not. The service was knowledgable and accomodating. We asked our waiter about her personal favourites, and her recommendations were some of the night's real stand-outs.

If you're looking for an authentic (but affordable) Turkish experience, Efendy Meze Bar in Balmain is the place to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment