Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cheese Pilgrimage South


As a devout worshipper of all things cheese, I knew that it would have been sacrilege not to visit the Richmond Hill Café and Larder during my jaunt south of the border over the weekend.

Will Studd’s famous fromagerie was absolutely pumping on Saturday afternoon - with everyone from blue-rinsed grannies to leather boot-clad glamours hankering for a tasting of whatever treat was going.  Wedging myself into a corner of the cool-room, I took a few seconds to absorb the creamy, pungent (somewhat mouldy) aroma that is almost as good as the dairy hit itself.   

And then the raptures began: hunks of cheese from everywhere from the foothills of Geneva to the New South Wales high country were thrust upon me.   I devoured the lot and would have probably swooned all over the kindly fromagier (speaking of hunks…)  in a very ungodly fashion,  had it not been for the blue-rinsed queue behind me.

Twenty glorious minutes later I was staggering down Bridge Road under the weight of the much-acclaimed La Luna Holy Goat and a chunk of (real!) Morbier the size of my head.

Thank you Formaggi Ocello for giving me something to come back to.


Cheese club membership wish list... (5 months til Christmas!)

Richmond Hill Cafe & Larder: http://www.rhcl.com.au/index.php/cheese_club_view

Bruny Island Cheese Co: http://www.brunyislandcheese.com.au/cheeseclub.php

Ashgrove Farm Cheese (don't have a Club but I'd be happy just to live there for the Wasabi Cheese): http://www.ashgrovecheese.com.au/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment