Friday, July 3, 2009

Brie yourself


Now that it’s Dry July, it’s time for a confession.   I have a serious substance abuse problem. With cheese.

Before I go any further I might just add that I’m not the only one in this office with an addiction problem.  Amongst the substances abused at Wasamedia are jersey caramels, gelato, green tea and of course coffee.  The soaring highs associated with consumption of any of the aforementioned delicacies normally occur just after midday, with the crashing lows ticking over at about 4pm. 

But it’s a different story with cheese.

My love affair with cheese has been hot and passionate since my early teens.  Whilst most drunken teenagers satisfied their late-night cravings with a hearty kebab, I would head home to demolish a sizeable wheel of King Island brie.  More recently I’ve found myself hanging around at Formaggi Ocello in Surry Hills like some kind of junkie, flirting with the delicatessens for a scrap of Italian Ubriaco.

A recent trip home to Tasmania unleashed the dairy dragon yet again.  A ploughman’s lunch at Say Cheese in Salamanca Place (my suggestion, naturally) introduced me to the bliss of Tasmanian Heritage Blue Opal cheese. As blue cheese is my poison of choice, I thought this soft ‘blue’ brie (clearly some kind of cheese mongrel) was a bit of a cop out.

I’ve never been so wrong! This buttery wonder is lightly infiltrated with tiny blue veins, resulting in a creamy texture with just a hint of blue-bite. It’s the perfect cheese for both addicts and beginners alike.

Though cheese may not seem like a particularly debilitating addiction, the side-affects are numerous.  Leaving aside fat content, the post-feast ‘cheese bubble’ as I’ve come to affectionately know it can be quite off-putting.  

At the end of the day though, there's nothing anyone can do but brie themselves.

Get cheesey:

No comments:

Post a Comment