Monday, June 22, 2009

With a bit of Monkey Magic there will be fireworks tonight!

After reading all the amazing recent reviews on Eatability, I really couldn’t justify waiting any longer to check out Monkey Magic in Surry Hills. Located conveniently on Crown St. (a mere 2 minute walk from my apartment) I finally made my way over to the restaurant on Friday night and I couldn’t have chosen a better start to my weekend.

Kicking the meal off with a nice glass of sparkling and some edamame, my guest and I decided to try a range of appetizers and small dishes. First up was the crab leaves, a deliciously fresh bite of crab meat with distinct highlights of lime and amazu ponzu on a bedded betel leaf. Next came the caramelised pork lettuce cup, with a touch of thai nam jim salsa spicing up the dish, the prawn noodle salad and the grilled chinese cabbage roll. The real standout for me however was the kingfish carpaccio with sesame dressing – I’ve never had kingfish so fresh and tasty. 

Of course, I couldn’t resist trying out some of the Monkey Magic cocktails. The Ageha Tokyo Punch was sweet, but fresh with a distinct citrus flavour and the classic Singapore Sling stayed true to its famous reputation, a cracka! I am glad it’s made fresh – my boss who is a regular in Singers tells me that the bar staff at Raffles are being lazy and using pre-mix. Definitely not the case here.

After the cocktails came dessert, and with the chocolate pudding (filled with pure liquid gold!) and delicious banana white chocolate spring rolls, the night finished off on a high note. That was enough for me to ride my magic cloud home with belt unbuckled.

Check out some Monkey Magic pictures at http://gallery.me.com/wasamedia#100313


P.S. For all you 80’s die-hard fans, check this out:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment